[Eril-l] E-Resource Marketing/Promotion

Nagata, Judith jnagata at holycross.edu
Tue Aug 9 13:40:05 PDT 2022

We have promoted via a faculty email newsletter, but since space is at a
premium (shared with Writing Center etc), we've lost real estate. And, I am
never sure that faculty actually read the email. We have done many of the
same things mentioned here, but we have used our library social media
accounts (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) to promote new electronic
resources (not ebooks, but yes streaming media packages) and to promote
some low-use electronic resources.

Anecdotally, we know that one semester's promotion campaign worked: usage
rose for that database. We used posting on the library's website, physical
posters (in the library) and social media so it is hard to say what worked
best.  This is* a lot *of work. Printing posters/cards, etc, creating posts
on the library website, and creating social media posts takes time
and thought. Each social media site has restrictions and one needs to spend
time thinking about how best to use the site. Vendors often have social
media appropriate logos or images that you can use (Someday I will look at
intellectual property rights to determine if screenshots or film / theatre
poster promotions are legal to post to promote a site if we do not get them
from the vendor.). As an aside, we promote resources to students, but my
focus for social media is faculty. They make the assignments after all.

To be honest, we have done some promotions, but when we get busy, this is
not at the top of our priority list. New electronic resources are
"promoted" to relevant academic departments via email from their liaison. I
have occasionally asked if we could promote a low use resource. So, our
promotion is hit or miss.

Hope this helps. I also am finding this tread interesting.

Judith

--
Judith Nagata
Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian
e: jnagata at holycross.edu