[Eril-l] Mass downloads

domason1 domason1 at aim.com
Tue Sep 21 14:41:22 PDT 2021

Igor--I worked in a large global corporation where this happened twice. A part of the company's awareness campaign was the mandatory annual ethics course where we were asked to bring such issues to the attention of IT. Once the vendor provided us with the offending IP address at the time of infringement, we would send this over to IT security to investigate and identify the user. One time they turned over the corporate ID of the person for us to contact and the other time they contacted the offender themselves. Both times the corporate ethics and guidelines were brought to the attention of the offender and the offender's manager. One of those times it was the math department found testing on large data sets and was legitimate work business. So, for that department we informed them that this could not be done on vendor's content. Therefore, we provided them with internal content that they could use for their big data science research.Thanks much!!!--Dorothy Mason
-------- Original message --------From: igor.hammer at unibe.ch Date: 9/21/21  10:58 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: eril-l at lists.eril-l.org Subject: [Eril-l] Mass downloads

Hello,

We sometimes receive e-mails from publishers who tell us that somebody inside our IP-range has downloaded too many documents from their website so that they decided to block the ip-address in question for some time.

If you receive similar e-mails – how do you react to them? On one hand we understand that the publishers want to protect their stock from mass downloads on a grand scale. But on the other hand the limits given by some
 publishers seem to me to be quite arbitrary and I don't always see on what grounds they base their decision. This makes it quite difficult for us to communicate to our customers as the same behaviour that may be no problem for one publisher might cause an
 ip-block from another publisher.

Best,

Igor

-------------------------­­­­­-------------------­­­­------------------