[Eril-l] Mass downloads

Miller, Aaron miller.4039 at osu.edu
Tue Sep 21 09:30:00 PDT 2021

Hi Igor,

At Ohio State, when we receive one of these emails, we immediately open a ticket with our Libraries IT letting them know about the block and attaching an audit log of the user's session. (Most vendors seem to attach one of these to the notification email, but if they don't, they are usually able to provide one if asked.) Libraries IT is then able to identify the user. After that happens, we reach out to the user with a form email explaining they have been identified as having systematically downloaded content, which is in breach of our license terms. (I will usually also ask if they have a project they are working on that we can potentially help with.)

I second Mark's sentiment about downloading thresholds. I've encountered a few situations where the block seemed arbitrary. In such cases I will share with the vendor that our IT determined the block to be unreasonable--that a pattern of systematic downloading did not seem likely. I'm not sure that this makes a difference, but perhaps it could help vendors rethink the way they identify potential problem users.

Best,

Aaron Miller
E-Resources Access Coordinator | Electronic Resources Management Team
The Ohio State University Libraries
Libraries Tech Center, 1165 Kinnear Rd. Columbus OH 43212
Telecommuting Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday Fri 8 am-4:30 pm EST
On-site Wednesday 8 am-4:30pm EST
miller.4039 at osu.edu<mailto:miller.4039 at osu.edu> | 614-514-5877