[Eril-l] Making your library website warmer, more interactive during remote learning

James C. Miller millerjc at hollins.edu
Tue May 12 05:00:01 PDT 2020

Hi All,

I'm wondering if you are doing anything extra during Covid to make your website more interactive or build warmth, and possibly a sense of community. I know this is a vague query and you may be doing this already on social media, but I've been asked to implement a few features on the library website, over the summer (all our summer programs are remote learning), and figured I'd open this up to the group. Here are a few things we are discussing.

  *   Our Library staff are interested in a digital "whiteboard" e.g. a place where people can put their thoughts, etc. I'm not sure anything exactly like that exists. This seems the most difficult to replicate on a website. Anyone familiar or done something similar? Perhaps there is someway to display social media activity on our site aside from the Twitter timeline (e.g. Embedding Instagram stories in a website)
  *   Somewhat related, I'm interested in featuring some kind of poll where respondents can see how their responses compare to others. We use Qualtrics and I'm going to explore this feature<https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/common-use-cases-rc/displaying-live-results/>. I'm excited by this, because I'm more familiar with Qualtrics.
  *   Creating a getting to know the librarian's page, where we have pictures and information about librarians beyond their area of expertise in the library.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing about your ideas, thoughts, frustrations, etc.

Best,
James Miller

James Miller | Discovery & Sciences Liaison Librarian (pronouns: he/him/his)
Wyndham Robertson Library

Need research help? Make an appointment with me: <https://calendly.com/millerjc/30min> https://calendly.com/millerjc/30min<https://calendly.com/millerjc/30min?month-view=enabled>

Hollins University
7950 E. Campus Drive: Box 9000