[Eril-l] Annual Review of Political Science uses Subscribe to Open to publish 2020 volume open access

Tricia Miller TMiller at annualreviews.org
Tue May 12 05:32:35 PDT 2020

**Apologies for Cross Posting**

Annual Review of Political Science uses Subscribe to Open to publish 2020 volume open access

Pilot OA program generates widespread support from institutional subscribers

Palo Alto, CALIF. (May 12, 2020) — Nonprofit publisher Annual Reviews is pleased to announce that the 2020 volume of the Annual Review of Political Science<https://annualreviews.org/journal/polisci> has been converted from gated to open access, with all articles published under a CC BY license. The back volumes, dating from 1998, are now freely available. The Annual Review of Political Science is the third of five journals included in a 2020 pilot program for Subscribe to Open; the Annual Review of Cancer Biology and the Annual Review of Public Health were published open access using Subscribe to Open on March 9, 2020 and April 2, 2020, respectively. The status of the Annual Review of Environment and Resources and the Annual Review of Nuclear and Particle Science will be announced when they publish.

Subscribe to Open<https://www.annualreviews.org/page/subscriptions/subscribe-to-open> is a solution for sustainable open access publishing that provides an alternative to article processing charges (APCs), the mechanism used by most open access journals. It uses existing library relationships and subscription purchases to convert gated journals to open access. Institutions simply continue to subscribe—there are no additional processes—and as long as subscription revenues are maintained, the year’s volume is published open access and the back volumes are made freely available.

The Co-Editors of the Annual Review of Political Science, Margaret Levi, Director of the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences at Stanford University, and Nancy L. Rosenblum, Professor of Ethics in Politics and Government emerita at Harvard University, responded jointly to the news: “In a time when our governments and our political life have never been more important, the Editorial Committee of the Annual Review of Political Science is particularly pleased to open its pages to all. Our journal surveys and assesses recent research on every aspect of politics: national and global, institutions and practices, public policy, political theory, and research methods. The authors are recognized authorities. Open access will bring this work to audiences for whom political science research is critical: policy makers, journalists, scholars and students, and the interested public. We are delighted that this research will be freely available.”

Richard Gallagher, President and Editor-in-Chief of Annual Reviews, praised the collaborative relationship between the publisher and its subscriber base. “We share a common interest in full and free access to the scientific literature, and it is this that has made open access to the Annual Review of Political Science possible. We are especially pleased to add a renowned social sciences journal to Subscribe to Open; open access is equally important across all areas of research.”

Annual Reviews thanks the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation for funding the development of Subscribe to Open, which was undertaken in partnership with Raym Crow, Managing Partner, Chain Bridge Group.

 ######

About Annual Reviews: Annual Reviews<http://www.annualreviews.org/> is a nonprofit publisher dedicated to synthesizing and integrating knowledge for the progress of science and benefit of society.

Visit www.annualreviews.org and follow @AnnualReviews. For more information, please contact Andrea Lopez, Director of Sales, Partnerships & Initiatives at Annual Reviews (alopez at annualreviews.org<mailto:alopez at annualreviews.org>).