[Eril-l] OpenAthens Login for On Campus Use?

Rhiannon Bruner rbruner at wesleyancollege.edu
Mon May 11 11:33:30 PDT 2020

Hello all,

We will be switching from EZProxy to OpenAthens very soon, and we need to
decide if on campus users will have to log in to OpenAthens from campus, or
if they will be automatically granted access to the resource through IP
recognition. I was wondering what factors other libraries considered when
making this decision, or if anyone has had positive or negative experiences
with either option. We are a very small college who mostly serve our
undergraduate population. Below are my initial thoughts, based on my
understanding of how it will work.

Advantages:
1. better/more full picture of all usage in OpenAthens reports
2. consistency of access - it will be the same process no matter where they
are
3. users can save searches/articles to their MyAthens account
across platforms (if those platforms support this functionality)

Disadvantage:
an extra step to get to the resource - which as we all know can be quite a
barrier for some users.

Thank you for your time,
Rhiannon
--