[Eril-l] new e-title updates via email to faculty, or via website?

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Fri Mar 8 06:10:12 PST 2019

Hi, all.
As we've moved to upwards of 90% of our monograph "acquisitions" being
through ebook packages - subscriptions, eba, dda, often with monthly
updates, our only notices of new available books are coming in the form of
marc records sent to cataloging technicians, which get silently loaded and
totally bypass the librarian subject selectors.  That deprives them of
their traditional ability to alert faculty they work with to new books that
may be of interest, as they did back in the day when they themselves
actually selected the books.

So I'm trying to figure out how to bring the librarians back into the
monograph acquisition workflow at the tail end, how to notify them of the
new books in their areas (by LC class).

Before I go re-inventing the wheel on this, I was wondering if any of you
have code, scripts, etc. to sort through new marc/catalog records maybe on
a monthly basis, group them by LC or other subject-oriented ways, and make
pretty human-readable lists for the librarians of them, maybe even with
book covers from Google or Amazon linked in, or any other kinds of cute
tricks.

I'm eventually thinking of making this feed into our website too, which is
Drupal-based, but my "1.0" goal is librarian notification, not public
notification.

Our catalog system is Evergreen so if anyone doing this stuff uses
Evergreen, I'd love your specific methods. But those using other systems
could almost certainly give me good ideas as well even if your solutions
are specific to functions in your product.

Thanks!

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island