[Eril-l] ACS and pay-per-view - would you be interested?

Theresa Borchert borchert at cord.edu
Thu May 10 07:56:01 PDT 2018

We had to drop from full access to a few titles and the token option a few years ago. I identified our ‘owned’ titles in WorldCat KB so when finding ACS titles in WorldCat Discovery patrons will only get full-text links to ACS titles we have access to. I also talk with our Chemistry faculty and in classes about this problem. However, this does not help token access for direct access at ACS website and SciFinder Scholar. Google Scholar is a bit better since our on-campus computers are set with our College settings in Google Scholar.

The ACS costs are prohibitive and unrealistic. Any percentage increase is unsustainable on budgets that have not had increases in years. Just do the math! Our savings a few years ago are now totally eaten away.

The other thing that drives me nuts is that every time a person opens an article from an ACS journal that needs a token for access, counts as one token. This is problematic!!! Students will open another browser, reopen an article multiple times, share a link with a classmate, or if a single article is posted on a course page or used in class, the single article could result in 100s of openings without actually reading the article. Each of ‘usages’ counts as a token.

sigh

Theresa Borchert, Librarian
Concordia College
Moorhead, MN 56562