[Eril-l] ProQuest "simplification program"?

Christine Turner cturner at library.umass.edu
Fri Jan 26 07:23:53 PST 2018

Greetings, Colleagues,

We've been struggling to maintain our inventory and accounting records, to say nothing of public access to our ProQuest products, particularly since they embarked on a "simplification program" a couple of years ago. They are moving contents of mega-collections in and out (e.g. International Bibliography of Social Sciences was included in our Social Sciences Premium Collection and now we're being billed separately for it), regularly changing database and collection names, and providing order forms and invoices that don't itemize what the charges cover. We're also having problems getting renewal prices in a timely manner. And then there's deciphering their usage data...

Are others feeling as frustrated as we are? We're pushing back, but I wonder if we're a lone voice in the wilderness.

Thanks for any feedback you may provide.

Best wishes,
Christine

Christine N. Turner
Acquisitions and Scholarly Communications Librarian
Acquisitions Unit/W.E.B. Du Bois Library
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA  01003
(413) 577-1026
cturner at library.umass.edu<mailto:cturner at library.umass.edu>