[Eril-l] Kanopy records in batch

Andrea Imre aimre at lib.siu.edu
Fri Jan 26 07:32:21 PST 2018

Hello Robin,

We started our Kanopy services in 2016 August. Here are the factors considered as I developed the process:

-          Most of the records in OCLC were the same quality as the vendor's since they were created by Kanopy. 99% of the Kanopy records had an OCLC # in our initial load.  Loading the ones without an OCLC number was still important so we could track licensed titles in our Acquisitions client.

-          Kanopy is a DDA collection so if we run out of money at any time or decide to discontinue the service, these records will all have to be deleted from our ILS (Voyager).

-          Kanopy records had their own unique 001+003 (these become a unique 035 when loaded into Voyager) and I wanted this vendor specific 035 in our records so we can safely process delete batches.

-          Kanopy, via their admin interface, provides delete and new record batches allowing easy management of updates and deletes

-          There was some overlap between our purchased Alexander Street Press collection and Kanopy. The oclc # is the most reliable way to identify dups between the two collections during bulk import so the OCLC 035s had to be kept in the Kanopy records.  If during new record batch bulk import a match is found, the matching record is rejected so we do not load a DDA title when we already own a purchased version of the same title from ASP.

-          When processing delete files I remove the OCLC number from the Kanopy vendor provided batch to avoid deleting any ASP records from our catalog.  For deletes I just process the "all time deletions" file from Kanopy.

-          We also use a unique location code for Kanopy in our ILS.

Hope this helps.

Andrea

Andrea Imre
Associate Professor