[Eril-l] Field of study for ERM connectivity/accessibility (SUMMARY of REPLIES)

Carissa Hernandez serialscreed at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 09:19:34 PDT 2018

Dear Eril-L,
Thank you so much for all the replies. I am a cataloger and a serials
librarian who has a long history of cataloging and subscription management,
but my current employer lacks anyone working on our library's systems and
this is not likely to change. So, this task has fallen to me. To better my
performance, I've read every book and article on electronic resource
management that I can get my hands on, and while all these explain the
subscribing and licensing end of things, there is very little treatment
given to the tech side. I have been looking for a learning environment that
will teach ERM--specifically the tech portion-- as a post Master's
certificate or something, but it appears our library schools do not supply
this education. This is a notion supported by my own searching and by
several comments from readers of this listserv made in reply to my post.
One person wrote that electronic resources are "just not taught" in MLIS
programs today, which was echoed by a respondent who is currently in an
MLIS program. It was stated that the course in collection development
mentions acquiring and negotiation of licenses, but the program does not
include any information on the technical side. A student would need to
include taking courses from the CS or IT areas.
My basic question was to what discipline or field do the concepts I'm
working with belong, meaning what program or class should I be searching
for to enroll in or take that will have a learning outcome of my being able
to more easily navigate the technical connectivity, accessibility, and
authentication issues for proxied electronic resources. I've taken courses
in computer science (programming, etc) through local colleges or library
organizations, but the topics have not really been applicable to what I
have been encountering in my work.
There were 11 respondents and I will summarize their comments here:

The terms and concepts on my list aren't really computer science. They more
appropriately belong to the field Information Technology, which has "grown
into a field with increasingly less and less overlap with computer
science". Specifically, the items on my list relate to computer networking,
with the distinction of being networking technologies (as opposed to
networking theory). Other ways that this was phrased was "network systems",
"network architecture", "network engineering", and "IT security". I was
told that for most of my list, I need someone who "speaks network systems
in IT". A couple of respondents offered options. These include exploring
the networking courses available at coursera.org or lynda.com (from
LinkedIn; you can start with 1 free month; search "networking" in the
search box).

In addition, some respondents began adding things to my list, including
OpenURL resolvers, link resolvers, federated ID, SSO, SAML, data loads and
FTP, and API.

Thank you again to everyone who replied. I really appreciate you taking the
time. If anyone has any other suggestions for education opportunities in
networking that would provide a librarian with the skills needed to manage
the tech side of ERM, please send these to me at serialscreed at gmail.com.
Sincerely,
Carissa
Catalog and Serials Librarian