[Eril-l] sharing cancellations with campus faculty

Susan Beck susabeck at ad.nmsu.edu
Fri Sep 30 14:36:33 PDT 2016

Karen,
   When I was the Collection Development Coordinator here New Mexico State University I kept track of all our serials cancellations through a libguide.  I created it in 2010 when we were in really bad shape and ended up cancelling 713 titles and about $600,000 in subcriptions. See http://nmsu.libguides.com/cancellations. I kept up this guide for years and handed it over to my successor just this fall.
   Each year, it seemed, I would also push the information, as well as the url for the libguide, about cancellations to campus through several venues: emails to all academic department liaisons and department heads, announcements through campus hotline type communications and e-mails to an internal faculty discussion list called faculty-talk which often becomes a place for folks to complain and generally show their not-so-nice, snarky side. We all have those people, right? Anyway, I would get a lot of feedback and, when the push back was strong enough, we would keep the not-heavily but dearly loved title.
   This guide tells the sad story of our cancellations  since 2010. I also included a chart showing all our cancellations or reductions by format from 1997-2016.
   I understand your crazy, cancellation times, Karen. New Mexico is very dependent on the oil and gas industry and as the price per gallon continues to sink, so do university budgets. We are looking at even bigger cuts midway this year and next. My deepest sympathy. It’s no fun.
Susan
Susan E. Beck
Professor & Head of Access Services
New Mexico State University Library
MSC 3475 Box 30006
Las Cruces NM 88003-8006
575-646-5091 (o)  575-646-3390 (f)
"To every complex problem there is a simple answer: neat, plausible, and wrong" H.L. Mencken