[Eril-l] database trial policy

Crawford, Laurel Laurel.Crawford at unt.edu
Tue Mar 29 14:28:32 PDT 2016

We also have restrictions on trials, but they're less formal. Our Electronic Resources Librarian uses professional judgment to determine the need for a trial on a case-by-case basis. In addition to the criteria Julie listed below, we consider:

*         The number of trials being conducted at once-we have only so much time to compile feedback from multiple trials. It also takes time to promote trials to get a decent amount of feedback-a trial without users is a waste of effort.

*         Whether we want the product for other reasons-we wouldn't run a trial for something out of scope, a poor quality resource, or a database in a foreign language not needed at our university, for example.

*         If a resource is very inexpensive, we also might decide not to run a trial-it might not be worth the time investment to trial a resource under a certain dollar amount, for example.

The only reason we'd conduct a trial of something we clearly cannot afford (or don't want for other reasons) is in the rare case when another funding source is potentially available; for example, we've conducted trials to help faculty members apply for a grant or make a pitch for additional funding.

Some good reasons not to run trials indiscriminately are:

*         Preserving your relationship with the vendor.

*         Setting unrealistic expectations among your patrons.

*         Allowing users to unethically use trials to download lots of information for free.

We find we need to communicate these expectations among ourselves in Technical Services, to our subject librarians, and to faculty requestors. I think it makes good sense to create a policy you can share with others-adding that to my to-do list! :)

Laurel Sammonds Crawford
Coordinator of Collection Development
University of North Texas Libraries
laurel.crawford at unt.edu<mailto:laurel.crawford at unt.edu>