[Eril-l] database trial policy

Bhatt, Anjana abhatt at fgcu.edu
Wed Mar 30 09:27:13 PDT 2016

You may also read my article:  E-Trials in Academic Libraries: 101 and Beyond<https://scholar.google.com/citations?view_op=view_citation&hl=en&user=phisloAX-GsJ&citation_for_view=phisloAX-GsJ:hqOjcs7Dif8C>.  Anjana H Bhatt Journal of Electronic Resources Librarianship 27 (2), 121-127

Article includes E-trial ground rules, trial concerns, process, workflow and responsibilities of the trial participants and links to sample documents such as trial feedback form (paper and online).

Since I wrote the article, we have increased the concurrent trial limit from 2 to 4 because limiting the trials to just 2 at a time resulted in long queues for subject librarians who wanted to conduct trials.  Also we realized that it is better to conduct more number of trials during summer and fall semester so we have enough information ready in spring semester for making quick purchasing decision for sudden influx of money from the Provost office or any one time purchase funds. We maintain an unmet curricular list and add the trial feedback to that list as well.  All the trial feedback forms (individual and consolidated) are saved on the share drive so we all have access to this information at any time.

We also decided to open the possibility of setting up a user ID and password based trial for just one week for subject librarians, who then could decide if it was worth following the complete e-trial process and opening it to the extended users.  This decision resulted in alleviating the waiting time.  Our subject librarians are also encouraged to do a limited trial with their college faculty and then open it to extended community for a wider feedback. Whatever it is, the first contact for setting up the trial (short or long) is E-resources Librarian's office.

If you have questions, I am happy to answer.

For further reading, here are some more suggestions:

  1.   Fischer, C. (2007). Group therapy-Database trials. Against the Grain, 19(6), 65-66.
  2.  Street, C. (2010). Getting the most from a database trial. Legal Information Management, 10(2), 147-148 doi:10.1017/S1472669610000551
  3.  Ritterbush, J. (2012). Trials by Juries: Suggested practices for database trials. Journal of Electronic Resources Librarianship, 24(3), 240-243.

Anjana

Thanks & Regards.
Anjana.

Anjana  H. Bhatt
University Librarian (Electronic Resources)
Florida Gulf Coast University Library<http://library.fgcu.edu/>
10501 FGCU Boulevard South
Fort Myers, FL 33965-6501
Office Location: Library West 236
Phone: 239-590-7634<tel:239-590-7634>, Fax: 239-590-7609<tel:239-590-7609>, E-mail: abhatt at fgcu.edu<mailto:abhatt at fgcu.edu>
http://library.fgcu.edu/FAC/abhatt/bhatt.htm
FGCU library provide services that support student pursuits for academic success and faculty endeavors for knowledge creation and classroom instruction.  Florida has a very broad public records    law.  As a result, any written communication created or received by Florida Gulf Coast University employees is subject to disclosure to the public and the media, upon request, unless otherwise exempt.  Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records.  If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity.  Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.
Seek the wisdom that will untie your knot. Seek the path that demands your whole being.  ~ Rumi