[Eril-l] database trial policy

Loder, Julie L julie.loder at Vanderbilt.Edu
Tue Mar 29 14:10:35 PDT 2016

Hello Sally,

Yes, we have a policy that addresses trials.  Essentially the sponsor needs permission from our AD for Collections, but should have considered the following before asking.  We are essentially trying to manage expectations on all sides and coordinate so we are requesting at a time when users and staff will have time to review and give feedback.

  *   Think about why we are requesting a trial to be sure it is really necessary.  For example, if we are only adding new content to an existing interface, is a trial necessary?
  *   There should be a reasonable expectation that we can afford the resource.
  *   Trials should be scheduled at times when people will have an opportunity to review the resource.  For example, a trial should not be scheduled during the Winter Break when many librarians and faculty will likely be away.

Julie

From: Eril-l [mailto:eril-l-bounces at lists.eril-l.org] On Behalf Of Sally Krash
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 2:39 PM
To: eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Subject: [Eril-l] database trial policy

Hello all,

Does anyone have a database trial policy? In previous libraries where I have worked, we only set up trials for databases that were being considered for purchase or subscription. However, in my current library, we are being asked to set up trials for databases that are well beyond our ability to obtain (financially speaking). If you have a policy that addresses this issue, can you share it with me?

All feedback is welcome!

Thank you,

Sally Krash
Head of Information Resources Management
W.E.B. Du Bois Library
University of Massachusetts Amherst
413-545-6865
krash at library.umass.edu<mailto:krash at library.umass.edu>