[Eril-l] impact of increasing FTEs on electronic resource costs

Irons, Lynda R. larremol at pacificu.edu
Thu Apr 2 16:38:50 PDT 2015

Hi there:

One problem for us is working with periodical publishers and/or database vendors whose price based on "site."  For some vendors, site means separate geographic locations.  As a result, pricing is often double, triple the cost.  We sometimes have been successful in negotiating the price downwards.

For databases, even though the vendor may charge on FTE, we have been successful in negotiating the price based on the actual user base, still with unlimited access.

The magic threshold seems to be 5,000 FTE.

Lynda

Lynda Irons | MLIS | Associate Professor | Research and Instructional Services Librarian | Pacific University Library | 2043 College Way | Forest Grove, OR  97116 | larremol at pacificu.edu<mailto:larremol at pacificu.edu>| 503-352-1409 | 1-877-722-8648
[boxer1][boxer2]Go Boxers! | Pacific University is committed to sustainability. Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.