[Eril-l] *PLEASE HELP* Methods to assess non-COUNTER-compliant resources

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Mon Mar 11 05:01:24 PDT 2024

Hi there,

I follow what Sarah Mueth mentioned — determining what metric would be most
ideal to use for assessment that *could *be seen as more "standard" if
wanting to compare with other resources that may use COUNTER. As far as
data collection goes, we have a big spreadsheet every year for *all *of our
usage (journals, database, etc.) and one tab is specifically for "Database
Non-COUNTER" usage. You could probably do the same thing & enhance it by
adding a column for "Vendor Type" to categorize if they're a business
platform, dataset provider, music, film, aggregator, etc.

Vendor Provider 2021 Usage 2022 Usage 2023 Usage 2023 Usage Type

For data gathering, I have a reminder on my calendar and a template email
prepped to send to our non-COUNTER vendors to obtain the usage around....
late January or early February. If I can get it from the admin portal, I
pull it around the same time and I store all of this usage in a folder
labeled "Non-COUNTER usage" with subfolders for each Vendor. I'm also
currently working on uploading the usage data files into the Vendor
"attachments" tab in Alma.

When it comes to non-COUNTER, I try to consider how users would *typically *use
the resource and what available metrics there are — so for certain Business
databases, it may be more beneficial to know how often the database is
being searched or how many "Company Views" it's obtained. It could be worth
chatting with instruction/subject librarians to get a better idea on how
their target users & departments use a subject-specific database.

Good luck!
Erika

*Erika Boardman, MLIS *| Electronic Resources Management Librarian
UNC Charlotte | J. Murrey Atkins Library | Atkins 225 (C5)
9201 University City Blvd. | Charlotte, NC 28223
eboardman at charlotte.edu <eboardman at uncc.edu> | 704-687-1124 |
library.charlotte.edu

*Pronouns: she, her, hers*

*My workday may look different from your workday. Please do not feel
obligated to respond outside of your normal working hours.*

*If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission or a person
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution, or other use of any of the information in this
transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please notify me immediately by email or by telephone at
704-687-1124. Thank you.*