[Eril-l] Problems logging into Elsevier and Springer sites

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Wed Feb 28 08:05:07 PST 2024

Hello,

We have noticed problems logging into Elsevier sites and Springerlink when
connecting through our proxy server. We are able to connect to the sites
but have problems logging into personal accounts on those sites.

With Elsevier, when people attempt to log into the site they do get to the
page requesting their username and password but the page has a cookie
banner at the bottom. When they click the "Accept all cookies" button the
banner goes away but the page seems to reload and the banner returns. There
doesn't seem to be a way to enter log in credentials with the banner in
place and it doesn't go away long enough to log in.

With Springer, when people attempt to log into the site they get the error
"We will not proceed with this request because the location you are being
redirected to is not recognised by us."

People are able to log in when we're connecting through our proxy server.
We started receiving reports of these problems on Friday but I don't know
if these problems existed before Friday.

I've asked our IT group to investigate and have open tickets with Elsevier
and Springer but was wondering if anyone else has been having either or
both of these problems.

Thank you,

Kenyon Stuart
Electronic Resource Management Unit