[Eril-l] Book Recycling Summary

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Fri Feb 23 11:16:01 PST 2024

Hello everyone!

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my message about disposing books from a large weeding project. Many of you had the same answers and I greatly appreciate your input.
I received requests to share the information gathered, so this is a summary of what I learned.

There are a number of online booksellers that will take a large collection of books. They will resell what they can and donate or recycle what does not sell. Depending on which bookseller you contact, they may provide you with the packing materials, pay for shipping, and/or give the library a percentage of the profit when the books sell. Specifically recommended were:

  *   Better World Books  https://services.betterworldbooks.com/libraries/
  *   Thriftbooks  https://www.thriftbooks.com/partners/sell/
  *   Zubal Books  https://www.zubalbooks.com/sell.jsp

I also learned some state institutions cannot legally donate books that will be resold, so recycling is the only option. You can Google recyclers in your area to discuss options. I received contact information for a recycler used in my area by a local library.

There are also companies like Newman Paperboard https://newmanpaperboard.com/ Who make a wide variety of paperboard products from recycled books.  Newman Paperboard is partnered with United States Recycling https://unitedstatesrecycling.com/services/ who diverts recyclable material from landfills.

Finally, on a smaller scale, there are projects like The Prison Book Program https://prisonbookprogram.org/donate-books/guidelines/ Or the Uganda Book Project. There are restrictions on materials sent for these smaller projects though, and shipping will be at your expense. They are worthy causes if you have the time and ability to select titles that meet their criteria though.

I also found an ALA LibGuide to book donation programs: https://libguides.ala.org/book-donations which includes some of these ideas and more.

So, there you go! Hopefully one or more of these ideas will help.

Thanks again for all the great information I received.

Jill
Jill M. Church

Electronic Resources and ILL Librarian
Montante Library
D'Youville University

churchj at dyc.edu<mailto:churchj at dyc.edu>
ill at dyc.edu<mailto:ill at dyc.edu>

Phone: 716-829-8107

[cid:image001.png at 01DA665C.C64F4880]

D'YOUVILLE CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication, including any attachments, may contain sensitive and/or confidential information and is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any unauthorized review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and delete and destroy all copies of the original message.