[Eril-l] APIs for getting an LC call number from an ISBN?

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Sat Feb 24 11:22:19 PST 2024

Hi, all.

I am in the middle of a project with some CS students to write open source code to help librarians programmatically (not interactively) retrieve Library of Congress call numbers given a list of ISBNs.
Years ago I used the OCLC Classify API for this, but OCLC has really locked down their APIs so even though they have the data, they've made it nearly impossible for us to use it.

So I'm looking for more alternatives.

So far I have the following APIs: Library of Congress, Harvard, Google, and Open Library.  But my students are finding an unacceptably small number of matches on our sample ISBNs using just those.
Do you know of any others that might work?

By the way, one of the use cases for this is combining such lists with COUNTER usage data to be able to analyze institutional usage of ebooks by discipline. COUNTER data has no subject classification, and the lists we get from vendors have inconsistent subject class systems that make them unsuitable for combining across all of our ebook vendors.  And some ebook vendors don't provide proper LC call numbers (Springer, I'm looking at you!) in their provided MARC records either. I have other use cases too, but this is the biggest.

Aside from true APIs, if you know of any other kinds of servers like Z39.50 or SRU or anything like that that could also provide this data and doesn't require a paid account, please let me know.
It would have to be a "source" with at least a million books in it to be worth coding for though.

Thanks!

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
mbelvadi at upei.ca<mailto:mbelvadi at upei.ca>  902-566-0581
ORCID iD: 0000-0002-4433-0189
my public calendar<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/0fbab27c909e4493be65313bd66d66b6@upei.ca/5fa60af92c6d451c9ddf90c0bb11e00f15552192987609852692/calendar.html>
Make an appointment<https://mbelvadi.youcanbook.me/> via YouCanBookMe
My pronouns are ಅವರು/ಅವರನ್ನು
My emails are sent during the hours that I work and I understand that you will respond during the hours that you work.