[Eril-l] Student Employees and Electronic Resources

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Thu Feb 8 09:59:57 PST 2024

I have also given some link checking to student workers (if there were
any). I also have had student workers do some matching/deduping projects
where I have title lists that need to be checked against another list.
Again, these are projects that a human does better and/or one that catches
inconsistencies that a computer might not (or if the metadata is awful and
the computer cannot do the work).
My concern with this is similar to Jaime's: you need interested student
workers who can be taught libraries, systems/platforms, and
publishing knowledge easily. Many students are not taught the basics any
longer so it is more challenging to train someone for these kinds of
projects. And, in my opinion, it takes a certain kind of student who likes
attention-to-detail projects. Link checking is a mind-numbing project but
one that needs to be done carefully. For example, we need to know that the
link works (get to the site) AND the current journal's issue is available
to our institution (and not just the front matter or the letters to the
editor).

--
Judith Nagata  (she/her)
Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian
e: jnagata at holycross.edu