[Eril-l] Tools for managing shared passwords

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Thu Feb 1 08:22:15 PST 2024

Hi Mary Beth

We just started using LastPass, provided by the college. We are a small
group, so there are only five people that have access to the shared
password folder. This is new to us - we had been using notes fields in
Sierra's ERM module, and had planned to continue that sort of process when
we migrated to Alma, but security concerns as well as some confusion (mine,
mostly) about how to handle multiple resources that share an admin account
(like ProQuest's databases). We are a Google Workspace campus, so we also
have a shared email account via Google Groups. The shared email can be the
"username" for most admin accounts, so no single person is linked to the
admin space.

So far, pros:

   - Several of us can share passwords by use of a shared folder
   - Updates to passwords only need to be made in one place, one time
   - Admin accounts are more secure in that they are not viewable by staff
   in our LMS

Cons:

   - LastPass is aggressive, when it is active. It wants to try to fill in
   everything!
   - We have a dual factor authentication process that can be cumbersome.
   As an example, I use a separate password manager to handle my login to
   LastPass
   - The college is planning to replace LastPass with something else, so
   there is a new learning curve coming our way

I hope this helps!

Mike

On Thu, Feb 1, 2024 at 11:03 AM Electronic Resources in Libraries
discussion list via Eril-l <eril-l at lists.eril-l.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I hope this email finds you well. I am reaching out to the listserv to
> enquire about your practices regarding password management for shared admin
> accounts. While we utilize user-specific logins when we can, we are
> exploring options for improving the way we manage shared passwords.
>
> What are your method(s)? Do you use a password manager to share passwords
> with authorized colleagues? Does your method work well or are there any
> drawbacks to it?
>
> Please feel free to respond off-list.
>
> Thanks, and best regards,
>
> ~Mary Beth