[Eril-l] [EXTERNAL] Re: Tools for managing shared passwords

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Thu Feb 1 08:58:15 PST 2024

LastPass had a fairly significant security breach
<https://blog.lastpass.com/2023/03/security-incident-update-recommended-actions/>
in 2022.

We now use Keeper <https://keepersecurity.com/> on campus.      I also use
1Password <https://1password.com/> at home to manage personal and family
passwords.

Switching to a new enterprise system is always a bit of a learning curve.

If you use more than one password manager, it can be fun to watch them
trying to duke it out on your browser screen whenever a login prompt
appears!   🙄

Vickie

On Thu, Feb 1, 2024 at 11:34 AM Electronic Resources in Libraries
discussion list via Eril-l <eril-l at lists.eril-l.org> wrote:

> Hi Mary Beth
>
> We just started using LastPass, provided by the college. We are a small
> group, so there are only five people that have access to the shared
> password folder. This is new to us - we had been using notes fields in
> Sierra's ERM module, and had planned to continue that sort of process when
> we migrated to Alma, but security concerns as well as some confusion (mine,
> mostly) about how to handle multiple resources that share an admin account
> (like ProQuest's databases). We are a Google Workspace campus, so we also
> have a shared email account via Google Groups. The shared email can be the
> "username" for most admin accounts, so no single person is linked to the
> admin space.
>
> So far, pros:
>
>    - Several of us can share passwords by use of a shared folder
>    - Updates to passwords only need to be made in one place, one time
>    - Admin accounts are more secure in that they are not viewable by
>    staff in our LMS
>

> Cons:
>
>    - LastPass is aggressive, when it is active. It wants to try to fill
>    in everything!
>    - We have a dual factor authentication process that can be cumbersome.
>    As an example, I use a separate password manager to handle my login to
>    LastPass
>    - The college is planning to replace LastPass with something else, so
>    there is a new learning curve coming our way
>

> I hope this helps!
>
> Mike
>
> On Thu, Feb 1, 2024 at 11:03 AM Electronic Resources in Libraries
> discussion list via Eril-l <eril-l at lists.eril-l.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I hope this email finds you well. I am reaching out to the listserv to
>> enquire about your practices regarding password management for shared admin
>> accounts. While we utilize user-specific logins when we can, we are
>> exploring options for improving the way we manage shared passwords.
>>
>> What are your method(s)? Do you use a password manager to share passwords
>> with authorized colleagues? Does your method work well or are there any
>> drawbacks to it?
>>
>> Please feel free to respond off-list.
>>
>> Thanks, and best regards,
>>
>> ~Mary Beth
>>
>> --
>> Mary Beth Holm
>> Electronic Resources Librarian
>> Virginia Commonwealth University
>> VCU Libraries
>> 901 Park Ave / PO Box 842033
>> Richmond, VA 23284-2033
>> Email: holmm at vcu.edu
>> PH: 804-827-0925
>> Fax: 804-828-5672
>>

> --
> Michael McGuire
> Electronic Resources Librarian
> Colby College Libraries
> 5161 Mayflower Hill
> Waterville, ME 04901

This information is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom
it is addressed.
Any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
this e-mail communication by
others is strictly prohibited.  If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify us
immediately by returning
this message to the sender and delete all copies.