[Eril-l] Open Athens & Microsoft Azure - Both Needed?

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Wed May 24 10:20:24 PDT 2023

Hello,

I apologize in advance if this has been answered multiple times through the years, but when I try to search the archives, I keep receiving an error message.

We currently use Open Athens for our database authentication, and our university uses Microsoft Azure for email, intranet, and LMS sign in. When we set up Open Athens, our IT department connected Azure's Active Directory with Open Athens, so patrons have an SSO experience.  So when patrons try to access a library database, they see Microsoft's sign-in. Also, if patrons sign into to the LMS, or the university's portal before accessing the library website, they're not prompted to authenticate again for database access.

This may be an obvious question, but we're trying to determine if we still need Open Athens or if Microsoft Azure provides the only authentication piece we need.  We have remote use of our databases, so I'm thinking that is the main part of what keeping Open Athens would provide.

Since administering our databases is only part of my job (small library, many hats), I don't know all of the tech aspects in depth, so your help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Dana Mastroianni
Head of Public Services | Jennie King Mellon Library<library.chatham.edu>
Office: 412-365-1602
Chatham University|Woodland Rd. Pittsburgh, 15232
[Intsa]<https://www.instagram.com/jkmlibrary/>[FB]<https://www.facebook.com/JKMLibrary/>[Social, Circles, neon, Spotify, line Icon]<https://open.spotify.com/user/fuwu26wdwqq6ums8xs4utraq5>