[Eril-l] Kanopy renewal license terms/processes

Timothy Streasick streatim at umich.edu
Tue Feb 7 11:50:05 PST 2023

Greetings Laura,

We've been using mediated Kanopy at UM-Dearborn since late 2018. A lot of
what drives our workflows has been to balance meeting our patron needs with
the fact that, at least here, there's only one person managing most steps
of the streaming license process for the campus in addition to other job
duties.

   - *Do you provide license options for film renewals? *- Typically not.
   If a faculty member requests a particular license-period I'll make note of
   it in my spreadsheet so that I can take it into consideration when making a
   determination what gets a 3-year license versus a single year, but I try to
   exercise as much control over our Kanopy budget as I can and haven't opened
   that up by consulting faculty regarding the different options available in
   Kanopy.

   - *What criteria do you use to determine if you'll renew a film with a
   1-year, 3-year, or perpetual license? *Films licensed for the first time
   on Kanopy are almost always licensed with a single year license.
   Afterwards, I will make a determination about whether we license single or
   three-year based on room in our prospective budget, the likelihood of the
   film being used in future years (usually measured by how many years we've
   licensed the film up to this point), and the usage of the film in the
   previous year. We're very fortunate here to have access to the campus'
   Kaltura platform, so if I consider a film for a perpetual license (using
   the aforementioned criteria) I never order from Kanopy and, instead,
   directly order a Digital Site License from the distributor and host the
   film on our own servers rather than paying hosting fees to anyone else.

   - *What workflows do you use for the renewal process? *I maintain a
   spreadsheet of all film requests that come in through Kanopy, which
   includes license start and end dates. I've been fortunate to put in most of
   our orders in batches, so I usually only have to check it in fits and
   spurts unless we get random requests. When a film is coming close to ending
   its license (usually a few weeks ahead of time), I'll check its usage since
   the current license started - if it's lower than 5 plays I'll reach out to
   the faculty member(s) who requested it to confirm that it's still being
   used. Otherwise we've budgeted for all the existing renewals and I'll
   assume the film is remaining in use. At that point I'll consult our
   streaming video databases (usually Alexander Street Press) and
   publicly-available ad-supported streaming platforms like Tubi (using
   https://www.justwatch.com/) to see if the film is available elsewhere.
   If Kanopy is still the best place to purchase, I'll try to get the renewal
   submitted a few days in advance, and I will determine at that stage whether
   we go for a 3-year or 1-year license based on the criteria described above.

It sounds like a lot, but once I got everything set in place it usually
takes me only an hour (or two, if it's at the beginning of the semester
when we have the bulk of our renewals) every month or so to manage. If you
have any other questions about our workflows, please feel free to let me
know!

- Tim Streasick

--
*Tim Streasick*