[Eril-l] Kanopy renewal license terms/processes

Laura Spradlin lspradli at iwu.edu
Mon Feb 6 07:34:25 PST 2023

Hello!

We are reviewing our workflows related to Kanopy renewals, and I'm very
interested in what processes work well for others.

For background: We are a small, undergraduate-only institution that uses
mediated Kanopy requesting. Kanopy films requested by faculty and students
(for course use) are licensed for 1 year upon initial request. Each month,
I send notices to faculty whose requested films will expire soon, asking if
they need us to renew the license for the film. We have the option to renew
with a 1-year or 3-year license, and for some films, a perpetual license.

For those who also use mediated Kanopy, I'm wondering:
- Do you provide license options for film renewals?
- What criteria do you use to determine if you'll renew a film with a
1-year, 3-year, or perpetual license?
- If you do not use an established set of criteria, how is the
determination made, and who makes it?
- What workflows do you use for the renewal process? (Ex. Have either
technical services or liaison librarians reach out to faculty, keep a list
of expiring titles on a libguide, etc.)

I would appreciate learning about any processes and criteria that work well
for your institution. Many, many thanks in advance for your responses!

All the best,
Laura

Laura Spradlin
Electronic Resources & Systems Librarian
The Ames Library
Illinois Wesleyan University
(309) 556-3144
lspradli at iwu.edu