[Eril-l] Join our NISO Plus Pre-conference, “Intro to AI and Machine Learning in Scholarly Communications”

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Thu Dec 7 07:30:33 PST 2023

**Apologies for cross posting**

Need to get up to speed on AI and its use in the information community? On
Monday, February 12 (1:00–5:00 pm ET), the National Information Standards
Organization (NISO) will host a pre-conference, “Introduction to AI and
Machine Learning in Scholarly Communications
<https://nisoplusbaltimore24.sched.com/event/1UlA7/pre-conference-ai-machine-learning-in-scholarly-communications-101>.”
The in-person event will take place at the Hyatt Regency Inner Harbor in
Baltimore, just one day prior to the fifth anniversary NISO Plus Baltimore
conference <https://niso.plus/home/baltimore/>.

Since the launch of ChatGPT earlier this year, stories about AI have
dominated the media. Everyone knows it’s important, but the current and
potential impacts on individual roles and organizations are still unclear
to many of us. How is AI being used on campuses and in publishing
organizations? What are the ethical or legal implications to consider? This
101-style introduction to AI and its many applications in our community is
designed for any information professional—librarians, publishers,
researchers, or service providers—seeking an introduction to this timely
topic. No technical background is necessary to attend.

The half-day workshop will familiarize attendees with the current state of
AI and machine learning systems. Facilitators will set the stage by tracing
the history leading up to today’s technologies and explore what the current
state-of-the-art machine learning services (both analytical and generative
AI) can do. In the second half of the pre-conference, attendees will learn
more about these systems through demos and actively engaging with a variety
of tools. Participants will come away with a thorough understanding of
machine learning services and systems and the ability to critically
evaluate their potential, capabilities, and risks.

“The idea for an introductory level pre-conference on artificial
intelligence arose during our NISO Plus Forum event last October, said
Jason Griffey, NISO Director of Strategic Initiatives. “In speaking with
industry leaders about AI, we realized there was a need for more education
on this emerging technology. So much of the media coverage emphasizes AI’s
pitfalls and ethical concerns, which are important, but we also want to
help people understand its potential to solve problems.”

Attendees of the NISO Plus pre-conference are not required to register for
the main meeting, although they are highly encouraged to attend both—AI is
a featured track on the NISO Plus program
<https://nisoplusbaltimore24.sched.com/>, so the two events complement each
other. The program also features tracks on open scholarship, metadata, and
information standards as well as keynotes from industry leaders, so it’s
well worth sticking around!

At $100, tickets for the pre-conference are very affordable, ensuring a
broad range of participation (including from students and early career
professionals). We thank the generous sponsors who have helped to make this
possible: Silverchair <https://www.silverchair.com/>, the American Society
of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) <https://www.asme.org/>, Bowker
<http://www.bowker.com/>, EBSCO <https://www.ebsco.com/>, figshare
<https://figshare.com/> (our repository host), Atla <https://www.atla.com/>,
CHORUS <https://www.chorusaccess.org/>, the Modern Language Association
<https://www.mla.org/>, OpenAthens <https://www.openathens.net/>, Project
MUSE <https://muse.jhu.edu/>, SPIE
<https://spie.org/publications/spie-digital-library>, Stony Brook
University Libraries <https://library.stonybrook.edu/>, UC Berkeley Library
<https://www.lib.berkeley.edu/>, Crossref <https://www.crossref.org/>, and
the journal Information Services and Use
<https://www.iospress.com/catalog/journals/information-services-use>.

We hope you’ll take this unique opportunity to learn about the emerging
technology shaping our industry! Reserve your space now
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/niso-plus-baltimore-2024-tickets-730776782027?aff=nisoplusweb>
and remember, the early bird deadline for the NISO Plus conference is
January 8.

Best wishes,

The NISO Team

NISO