[Eril-l] Infobase / Films on Demand COUNTER anomalies

Karlsen, Jeff KarlseJ at scc.losrios.edu
Fri Apr 7 09:04:44 PDT 2023

In reviewing some data for IPEDS, we found that our Feb 2020 – Oct 2020 Films on Demand IR_M1 numbers were suspiciously high (since we saw a precipitous dropoff in 2021-22). We would expect a pandemic-related increase, and also some decrease from that the following year since our enrollment dropped, but these levels were, again, suspicious, and the spike actually started in February 2020. Below is IR_M1 Jan 20 – Dec 22.
[cid:image001.png at 01D9692F.FE00E070]

I checked with a colleague at a different institution who noticed a similar spike, and she filed a ticket with Infobase, who in turn contacted LibLynx, who maintains Infobase’s stats.

I’m just wondering if others are seeing the same phenomenon—again, yes, we would expect some increase in March 2020 and beyond, but here we see October 2020 at about 4X October 2021 – it just looks wrong.

Note we collect our COUNTER stats in Alma, but I checked the reports at the Infobase admin site to verify that this is not an Alma glitch.

--
Jeff Karlsen
Technical Services Librarian