[Eril-l] Mass downloads

igor.hammer at unibe.ch igor.hammer at unibe.ch
Tue Sep 21 03:25:34 PDT 2021

Hello,

We sometimes receive e-mails from publishers who tell us that somebody inside our IP-range has downloaded too many documents from their website so that they decided to block the ip-address in question for some time.

If you receive similar e-mails - how do you react to them? On one hand we understand that the publishers want to protect their stock from mass downloads on a grand scale. But on the other hand the limits given by some publishers seem to me to be quite arbitrary and I don't always see on what grounds they base their decision. This makes it quite difficult for us to communicate to our customers as the same behaviour that may be no problem for one publisher might cause an ip-block from another publisher.

Best,

Igor

-------------------------­­­­­-------------------­­­­------------------
Universität Bern