[Eril-l] a collection of search topic formulations on your website for students?

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Tue Nov 23 13:04:01 PST 2021

Hi,
We're going to be putting together a bunch of webpages for our website that will offer standardized search formulations for topics facets that we see students, especially undergrads, commonly need.  An example of what I mean is this one that I made on transgender issues (EBSCO is our dominant platform so it uses that syntax):

"Gender dysphoria" OR "gender identity" OR Transgender OR "Gender reassignment" OR "sex change*" OR Transsexual*  OR("trans m?n" or "trans wom?n" or "trans person*" or transpeople or "trans male*" or "trans female*" OR (gender* N3 (non-conform* nonconform* OR fluid*)) OR "sex reassignment surgery" OR "gender transition" OR "genital surgery" OR "Genitourinary organs -- surgery"

I have another one for Indigenous peoples, one for Canada geographically (eg it includes all the provinces plus the major cities), you get the idea.

We find that these kinds of "pieces of student topics" often keep coming up across our curriculum, from students doing "English 101" papers, to Psych/Soc majors, to Nursing students, etc.

I'm not trying to get as complicated as the full-blown PRISMA search "hedges" that biomed researchers use in the systematic reviews, but something appropriate for undergrads.

I am wondering if any other library has already done this as a collection in one place across the curriculum, as compared with having them buried in various subject-specific Libguides.
If so, can you please share a link to them?

Thanks!

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island