[Eril-l] [External] Re: [EXT] Re: Cost per use from COUNTER 5 Ebook reports

Elizabeth Henry elizabeth.henry at gallaudet.edu
Wed Nov 10 06:12:24 PST 2021

I also recommend this video available through ASERL: A Practical guide to
COUNTER Release 5 <https://vimeo.com/480354734>

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 11:46 AM Melissa Belvadi <mbelvadi at upei.ca> wrote:

> Making sense of COUNTER COP5 metrics for books:
> First I highly recommend the 8 minute official COUNTER "class" video on
> book reports and metrics.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NFG76TLczg
>
> Everything below assumes we're talking about what happens within a single
> "session" (which implies of course a single user too). [see note about this
> below]
>
> Basically, the difference between unique_item and unique_title is that
> item will treat chapters from the same book as different uses, whereas
> title will count all chapters from the same book as a single use.
>
> So if your goal is try to equate ebook use with print book circulation,
> unique_title is most definitely the right metric to look at.
>

> Sessions: some smaller content providers have trouble determining what
> counts as a single session, so they're allowed to have a fixed time period
> rather than actual connection status, to use for this. Such a provider, for
> instance, may consider everything from a given IP address between 12:00:00
> - 12:59:59 (that's one hour) as a "session", so the patron who starts
> reading chapters at 12:50pm and is still reading more chapters from the
> same book at 1:10pm will count as 2 unique_title_requests, rather than the
> usual 1. None of the really major providers in our industry are doing this,
> but smaller providers may.  This is explained in more detail at:
> https://cop5.projectcounter.org/en/5.0.2/07-processing/04-counting-unique-titles.html
>
> Melissa Belvadi
> Collections Librarian
> University of Prince Edward Island
> mbelvadi at upei.ca

Elizabeth Henry | Instruction & Reference/E-Resources Librarian

Gallaudet University

I. King Jordan Student Academic Center (JSAC) | Room: 1233

202-250-2855 (VP)
Gallaudet University Library <https://www.gallaudet.edu/library>
*Pronouns: She/Her*