[Eril-l] [EXT] Re: Cost per use from COUNTER 5 Ebook reports

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Tue Nov 9 08:46:01 PST 2021

Making sense of COUNTER COP5 metrics for books:
First I highly recommend the 8 minute official COUNTER "class" video on book reports and metrics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NFG76TLczg

Everything below assumes we're talking about what happens within a single "session" (which implies of course a single user too). [see note about this below]

Basically, the difference between unique_item and unique_title is that item will treat chapters from the same book as different uses, whereas title will count all chapters from the same book as a single use.

So if your goal is try to equate ebook use with print book circulation, unique_title is most definitely the right metric to look at.

Sessions: some smaller content providers have trouble determining what counts as a single session, so they're allowed to have a fixed time period rather than actual connection status, to use for this. Such a provider, for instance, may consider everything from a given IP address between 12:00:00 - 12:59:59 (that's one hour) as a "session", so the patron who starts reading chapters at 12:50pm and is still reading more chapters from the same book at 1:10pm will count as 2 unique_title_requests, rather than the usual 1. None of the really major providers in our industry are doing this, but smaller providers may.  This is explained in more detail at: https://cop5.projectcounter.org/en/5.0.2/07-processing/04-counting-unique-titles.html

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
mbelvadi at upei.ca