[Eril-l] FW: E-resource Usage Drop?

Sherise S Kimura kimura at usfca.edu
Mon Jan 4 11:44:11 PST 2021

I compared our aggregate ejournal and discovery service usage for the first
three quarters of 2020 with our 2019 statistics, and both were
significantly lower. ACRL asks for COUNTER 5 "unique item requests" for
ejournals, but I used "total item requests" for 2020 for my comparison.

Like others have noted, publishers opening up content may be one factor,
which COUNTER notes in their video, Usage in the Time of the Pandemic
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSWSeVrqXpc&feature=youtu.be>. I think
there are many other reasons I don't have data on, such as users finding
open/free content; bandwidth/connectivity issues, limited or reduced access
to technology/devices (e.g, a student may need to share a computer with
family members), remote learning burnout, adapted or fewer research
assignments, etc. Our instruction team taught fewer instruction sessions,
so that could be another reason. Interestingly, our virtual reference
statistics were way up. My feeling is 2020 (and probably part of 2021)
doesn't reflect a normal year for our usage.

Ebooks seem more complicated to compare between COUNTER 4 and COUNTER 5, so
I haven't tackled these yet. Also, I'm planning to look more closely at
individual resources when we do our annual assessment of all resources this
quarter.

-Sherise

Sherise Kimura
Electronic Resources Librarian
Gleeson Library/Geschke Center
University of San Francisco
kimura at usfca.edu
*Pronouns: she/her/hers *

I observe email free evenings and weekends.