[Eril-l] Tracking perpetual access entitlements

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Fri Dec 10 07:47:37 PST 2021

The national academic library consortium of Canada, CRKN, has a committee (that I'm on) that has been hard at work developing a spreadsheet format for doing this for journal packages (aka "Big Deals") that it licenses, with one spreadsheet file per provider/publisher, and separate columns for each member institution, showing per title/per year which each institution has PA rights for. There are additional tabs for documenting exceptions and referencing the specific CRKN license deals that those rights accrue from, in case anyone needs to dispute the matter with the provider.  We're within just a few months of making it "live" for our members.

I also have a team of computer science students who are going to spend next semester making a nice web-based search front end of all that data as a capstone project for a class, and we'll be releasing it all as open source when it's finished (mid-April, expected, when their course is done).

If anyone would like to know more about the spreadsheets themselves, or the project to provide a friendly interface to search them, feel free to get directly in touch with me.

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
mbelvadi at upei.ca