[Eril-l] Acquisitions request systems?

Mary Aagard MaryAagard at boisestate.edu
Thu Aug 19 11:26:56 PDT 2021

Hi Laurel,

I have had some very similar questions recently and would love to see what
other libraries may share.

We decided to develop our own homegrown system. We use a tool/web-based
software called SmartSheet. It's not perfect and is essentially a ticket
system that includes alerts/notifiers for the patron and library staff. We
use Voyager for our LMS so the work of creating the PO, importing MARC
records, etc. all happen in Voyager but the request starts in the Sheet -
and ends in the Sheet when the patron is alerted to the completion of the
request. (I hope that makes sense.)

Here is a link to our request form
<https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/87f7ce9e585a42a9873dff6186db1c95>.
SmartSheet allows for "views" (Dynamic View) so that you can post links or
embed the sheet so that patrons and library staff can track their progress
of the requests. This was really important to me and we are still trying to
perfect this ability.

Happy to answer any questions of folks interested in SmartSheet or see how
this is working for us.

Thanks, Mary

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 12:17 PM Crawford, Laurel <Laurel.Crawford at unt.edu>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>

> I’m wondering about request systems for acquisitions, specifically for a
> high volume of monographs and other inexpensive one-time purchase requests.
>

> The major ebook platforms have built-in this kind of
> functionality—end-users such as patrons or library employees can use the
> system to send requests to the Acquisitions department. However, I’m
> wanting a vendor-agnostic, platform-agnostic request system, one that could
> handle more than just monographs. I’ve worked with a few home-grown
> solutions in the distant past, but they each had their problems.
>

> What are your libraries using today? I’ve been thinking about adapting a
> ticket system for this purpose—is it a good or bad idea? Any other ideas?
> Any articles to share? I’m having a difficult time searching the literature
> for this.
>

> Thanks in advance!
>

> Laurel Sammonds Crawford, MLIS
>
> Head of Collection Development
>
> University of North Texas Libraries
>
> laurel.crawford at unt.edu
>

> [image:
> http://tartan.unt.edu/sites/all/themes/greenlight/images/tartan-a.jpg]
>

> Pronouns <https://ied.unt.edu/pronouns>: she, her, and hers

MARY AAGARD (she/her/hers)
*Head, Acquisitions & Collections and Associate Professor **Albertsons
Library* Boise State University

Phone: (208) 426-4025 Email: maryaagard at boisestate.edu
Mail: 1910 University Drive, Boise, ID 83725-1430 *Location: *1865 Cesar
Chavez Lane, Boise, ID Web: l <https://library.boisestate.edu/>
ibrary.boisestate.edu  | My Research
<https://works.bepress.com/mary_aagard/>

Make a gift to Boise State today!