[Eril-l] COUNTER release 5 interpretations

danielle plumer dcplumer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 09:35:43 PDT 2020

We've been running into what appear to be different interpretations of
COUNTER R5 among our various vendors, and I wondered if any of you have
thoughts about this.

Before the transition was final, we worked with our vendors to understand
how the transition from R4 to R5 would affect our usage reports. We needed
to have a full year of collecting both, and I knew not all vendors would
support that, so, in consultation with EBSCO, ProQuest, and Gale we came up
with a method to simulate R5 using R4 data:

R4 Record Views plus full-text requests  *≈*  R5 investigations

This gave us fairly close approximations (R5 was generally about 3% lower
than the R4 estimate initially, though the back and forths over robots and
link-outs has increased the gap).

However, we have a few vendors who state that in R5 investigations =
requests, as if they are not tracking any user behavior other than the
requests, though for R4 they tracked Record Views and Result Clicks. The
current vendor we're discussing this with isn't listed on the COUNTER
registry of compliance, but it's come up a couple of other times with
vendors whose platforms are listed as supported.

Has anyone else run into this? Is there a legitimate reason why
investigations would equal requests on a platform that previously showed
different numbers for Record Views and Full-Text?

Danielle Cunniff Plumer
Statewide Resource Sharing Administrator
Texas State Library and Archives Commission
dplumer at tsl.texas.gov
512-463-5433 (work)