[Eril-l] unique vs total requests in counter 5

Deborah Bezanson bezanson at gwu.edu
Fri Jun 12 12:17:28 PDT 2020

I agree Amy.  I've been looking at Unique.  I think it eliminates the
overlap we used to have when someone would enter a site on the HTML for an
article and then choose to download the PDF.

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 2:57 PM Amy Lynn Fry <afry at bgsu.edu> wrote:

> I’m trying to choose between unique and total requests in counter 5. Which
> is better?
>

> I initially thought total to measure overall use, while unique would be
> good to see what scope of the resource is being used (like, how many ebooks
> in an ebook package). But then I realized today that it’s unique requests **per
> session**, so the unique count is only eliminating the counts of multiple
> things downloaded by the same user in the same session. Is that correct?
> Why should I care about eliminating that duplication?
>

> Amy Fry
>
> Associate Professor, E-resources Librarian
>
> Jerome Library
>
> Bowling Green, OH 43403
>
> afry at bgsu.edu
>
> *email is the best way to reach me*

Deborah Bezanson
Senior Librarian for the Sciences, Engineering & Assessment
George Washington University Libraries
http://calendly.com/bezanson
2130 H Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052