[Eril-l] Question on library content in Blackboard

Ken Chad ken at kenchadconsulting.com
Thu Jul 30 10:08:09 PDT 2020

Hi Kari,
This looks like exactly the kind of issue that (library centric)
reading/resource list solutions like Talis Aspire, Ex Libris Leganto,
SirsiDynix BLUEcloud course lists and Kortext Ketyinks have been
designed to solve. There is more about them on the Higher Education Library
Technology (HELibTech) Reading/resource list page
https://www.helibtech.com/reading_resource_lists . I wrote an open access
'briefing paper' on them in 2018 which you may find useful
https://www.kenchadconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Rise_of_library_centric-_readlinglists_July2018.pdf

These solutions are typically tightly integrated into learning
management systems like Blackboard to embed the resources. In this way they
present students (typically undergraduates) with all the resources they
need for their course/module sometimes down to the week of study. These
might be 'library' resources (i.e. material purchased and managed by the
library) including books (print and e), textbooks, digitised chapters or
'learning resources' (purchased by faculty/department) or other kinds of
resources (websites, videos online lectures etc). Specified resources on
the list may be annotated by faculty as 'essential' or 'recommended' for
example.

Such solutions also integrate with the ILS to, for example, prompt for
additional copies to be purchased. Reading/resource list solutions are now
ubiquitous in  UK Higher Ed libraries and also popular Australia and New
Zealand and some other countries. They are now gaining traction in US HE
libraries.Some lists are open and viewable to the public. Here is a list
from Birmingham University (not via the learning management system - you
have to be a student to access it from there)
https://rl.talis.com/3/bham/lists/42F79D2E-72DB-DB81-DB8D-D2635C094069.html

Hope that helps
Ken
www.kenchadconsulting.com Tel: +44(0)7788 727845  ken at kenchadconsulting.com
<ken at kenchadconsuting.com>  Twitter @kenchad Skype: Kenchadconsulting

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 at 13:52, Schmidt, Kari B <
kari.schmidt at montgomerycollege.edu> wrote:

> I am writing to see how others are integrating library
> content/resources/services in Blackboard.  We have the green light from the
> College department managing Blackboard, so checking on how others have this
> set up.  Any information, screen shots, or general advice is most helpful.
>

> Here is what we are interested in learning:
>

>    1. Does your library have a tab in the tab header menu that appears on
>    every page in Blackboard? If so, what type of content have you put there?
>    (We would love screenshots if you are able to send them!)
>    2. Does your library have content embedded in the default course menu
>    that appears in every Blackboard course page? If so, what type of content
>    have you put there?
>

> Our course guides (Springshare) and reserves (Ares) are already integrated
> into Blackboard, so this is an extension of our library presence in
> Blackboard that we are hoping to get set up for fall.
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Kari
>

> Kari Schmidt
>
> Associate Director, Resources & Collections
>
> Montgomery College
>
> Montgomery College Library
>
> 51 Mannakee Street
>
> Rockville, MD 20850