[Eril-l] Paid summer fellowship for MLIS students and recent grads

Elizabeth Siler esiler3 at uncc.edu
Wed Jan 29 11:28:19 PST 2020

 UNC Charlotte is hiring Summer Fellows!

Position: Textbook Affordability Fellow
Applications submitted by February 3rd will receive first consideration.
https://library.uncc.edu/atkins-fellow-textbook-affordability

The Atkins Textbook Affordability Fellow will support our efforts to reduce
course materials costs for students at UNC Charlotte. This fellow will work
with a subject librarian who leads our Open Educational Resources (OER)
efforts. Various projects will necessitate collaborating with our
collection development librarian, assessment librarian, and other subject
librarians. This fellow will help to determine course material needs of
identified high enrollment courses, search for and brainstorm solutions,
identify funding sources to accomplish our goals, and collaborate on a
report with a plan of action for the coming years. These duties will
require the fellow to interview faculty members, navigate publisher
offerings and license barriers, develop an understanding of the OER
landscape, and develop strategic plans.

This fellowship will provide experience working with university faculty, an
understanding of university structure and politics, as well as a working
knowledge of funding sources.  More importantly, this fellowship offers an
immersion in open pedagogy and open ethos, which are crucial for
communicating and advocating for quality and affordable education. The work
of this fellow will help further our efforts to encourage faculty to
consider no-cost course materials and understand the social context for its
urgency.

*About the Atkins Fellows Program*

The Atkins Fellows program
<https://library.uncc.edu/about/jobs-and-internships/atkins-fellows> is an
eleven-week paid summer fellowship for students at the mid-point of their
Library, Archives, or Information Science degree program, or those within
one year of having completed such a program. The program is designed to
provide fellows with a work experience that is focused on
professional-level tasks, with high levels of independence and creativity.
The five projects proposed for 2020 include library work with
accessibility, discovery services, instruction, special collections
exhibits and outreach, and textbook affordability. Fellows will also have
the opportunity to attend workshops, job talks, and local conferences, as
well as job shadow and participate in library meetings. Participants in
this program will receive a $6,600 stipend, paid at an hourly rate
($15/hour, for eleven weeks of forty hours per week).  This year, we are
excited to be able to offer program participants an additional $750 housing
and transportation stipend to help with the cost of moving to Charlotte for
the summer.

Want to learn more about the program? Visit our website
<https://library.uncc.edu/about/jobs-and-internships/atkins-fellows>.

*About UNC Charlotte and Charlotte, NC*

With current enrollment at nearly 30,000, UNC Charlotte is the fastest
growing campus in the UNC system, and Charlotte is one of the fastest
growing cities in the United States. Participating fellows will be able to
enjoy an extension to our light rail system <http://lightrail.uncc.edu/>
that will transport you from the university to many of the most popular
neighborhoods in the city. As North Carolina’s urban research university,
we provide access to all of the amenities expected of a city, including
sports and music venues, museums and galleries, restaurants, coffee shops,
and breweries, while still within driving distance to the mountains and the
ocean. This is an exciting time to live in Charlotte and work at Atkins
Library and we hope you will consider joining us this summer!

Elizabeth Siler, MLIS | Collection Development Librarian
UNC Charlotte | Atkins Library
9201 University City Blvd.| Charlotte, NC 28223
Phone: 704-687-1372 | Fax: 704-678-0890
esiler3 at uncc.edu | http://www.uncc.edu