[Eril-l] Webinar about Metadata for Open Access resources - Monday, Jan 27; 11am EST

J Siemon jsiemon2002 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 07:41:27 PST 2020

 I hope many ERIL-L subscribers will be interested in this upcoming Webinar
about Metadata for Open Access resources.  I'll review some open access
(OA) collections that have been created by not-for-profit organizations. A
lso I'll  consider why libraries might add not-for-profit OA resources; and
suggest some processes for how libraries might add OA resources beyond the
OA journals published by commercial vendors.

Register at:
https://www.oclc.org/community/collection_manager/events/collmgrcrt-jan2020.en.html

OCLC Community Insights: Selecting Open Access Knowledge Base collections
for Discovery

11:00 AM - 12:00 PM Eastern (North America) [UTC-5]
Please join an online community session featuring a presentation by Jeff
Siemon (Anderson University) on Open Access KB (Knowledge Base) collections.

Open Access KB (Knowledge Base) collections can add diversity and breadth
to your library’s Discovery experience of e-journals and eBooks.  Why add
OA (open access) resources to your catalog?  What kinds of OA collections
are available in the OCLC KB? What levels of quality are represented?
Which OA collections should my library select?  How do you search for and
select OA collections?  How can you elevate, in Discovery results lists,
results from purchased collections before results from OA collections, if
you want to?

Note: this is a reprise of a session presented at the 2019 OCLC WMS Global
Community + User Group Meeting.

The presentation will be followed by question-and-answer/discussion so
bring your questions and share your own experiences. Sara Finch (OCLC
Knowledge Base) will host the session.

The session will be recorded.

Jeff Siemon, M.Div., MLS  |  Professor, Electronic Resources Librarian  |
 Nicholson Library
Anderson University  |  1100 E. Fifth St, Anderson, IN 46012
josiemon at anderson.edu
library.anderson.edu  |  www.linkedin.com/in/JeffSiemon