[Eril-l] Project MUSE Offers Timely New Resources for Instructors and Libraries

Melanie Schaffner MBS at press.jhu.edu
Tue Apr 21 11:44:43 PDT 2020

Project MUSE Offers Timely New Resources for Instructors and Libraries

In this unprecedented time, librarians, faculty, and students face a great set of challenges in shifting to an exclusively online learning and research environment for the foreseeable future. Project MUSE is committed to serving our customers and their user communities throughout the global COVID-19 public health crisis. As part of our mission to be a trusted source for essential humanities and social science scholarship, we have launched a new set of resources For Instructors, along with a "one-stop-shop" for libraries to assist with managing access and discovery for content on the MUSE platform. MUSE also recently released "MUSE in Focus: Contextualizing Pandemic," a sampling of temporarily free scholarship from Project MUSE publishers on the broad topic of pandemic, to help bring historical and cultural context to the current crisis.

Project MUSE For Instructors
https://about.muse.jhu.edu/instructors/

More than ever, it is essential that faculty can easily find and access the online scholarship and course materials they require, so that they can focus on providing the best instruction possible. MUSE is here to serve course instructors with a brand new set of resources for discovering course content, facilitating online research, and helping to navigate the challenges and opportunities of e-learning. In our new For Instructors area, teaching faculty may:

-          Access over 40 temporarily free books and articles about online teaching and learning, from MUSE's participating university press and non-profit scholarly publishers

-          Explore subject-specific lists of peer-reviewed content from MUSE suitable for use in courses and research

-          Review tips for incorporating MUSE journals and books in class use
Project MUSE will continue to update and build upon this set of resources for instructors, now and long after the COVID-19 crisis fades. Instructors are encouraged to visit, and sign up to receive regular updates to these resources.

Library Resources During COVID-19
https://about.muse.jhu.edu/librarians/covid-library-resources/

With most educational and research activity moving into an online environment, and a large amount of content either temporarily available for free or permanently open access on the MUSE platform, we are experiencing both high demand for and high usage of the resources we offer. Both current library customers, and those to whom MUSE is a new resource, may benefit from the tools and tips we have gathered to help with discovery of and access to our reliable and vetted scholarly content. Our new Library Resources page brings together information about:

-          Publishers currently making content available for free on MUSE

-          Open access books and journals on MUSE

-          Discovery tools, including MARC and KBART files, for both free and OA content

-          Details for activating free and OA MUSE content in commonly-used knowledge bases

-          Enabling remote access to your library's MUSE holdings

-          Resources for users, including our new For Instructors area
We welcome suggestions for other information or tools that we can provide to assist libraries with the challenges they are facing at this time. Please reach out to our Library Support team at muse_sales at press.jhu.edu<mailto:muse_sales at press.jhu.edu> with questions or suggestions.

MUSE in Focus: Contextualizing Pandemic
https://about.muse.jhu.edu/muse-in-focus/context-pandemic/

"MUSE in Focus: Contextualizing Pandemic" is a small sampling of temporarily free scholarship from Project MUSE publishers on the broad topic of pandemic and its effects throughout history, in culture, and on humanity as a whole. We hope that bringing these pieces together will help to bring historical and cultural context to the current crisis. We envision this cross section as a place for scholars and generally interested readers alike to begin learning more, and encourage readers to explore Project MUSE for additional relevant content.

"MUSE in Focus: Contextualizing Pandemic" follows on the August 2019 release of "MUSE in Focus: Addressing Gun Violence," a selection of scholarship from Project MUSE publishers on gun violence, its effect throughout the culture, and its possible solutions, developed to inform policymakers and educate researchers and other concerned citizens. Additional MUSE in Focus compilations may be offered when trusted scholarly content from our participating publishers may contribute historical, cultural, and social context to current events and issues on global, national, and local scales.

More than 80 of MUSE's participating publishers have temporarily made all or some of their content freely available on the Project MUSE platform, with over 25,000 books and 300 journals are now available to any user worldwide, in response to the crucial need for remote access to reliable, vetted teaching and research materials during the COVID-19 pandemic crisis. More information on the temporarily free content on MUSE is available at https://about.muse.jhu.edu/resources/freeresourcescovid19/.

For more information on these resources or assistance with any other MUSE matters, please contact us at muse at press.jhu.edu<mailto:muse at press.jhu.edu>.

Melanie Schaffner
Director, Sales & Marketing
Project MUSE
mbs at press.jhu.edu<mailto:mbs at press.jhu.edu>
p 410-516-3846 (Eastern Daylight Time)
she/her/hers

New privacy regulations prevent us from sharing news and updates from Project MUSE with you unless you have opted-in to our communications. Please be sure you are on the list to get our latest news!
http://bit.ly/MUSESignUp