[Eril-l] Question about Mendeley

Kenyon Stuart kstuart at umich.edu
Tue Sep 17 11:16:21 PDT 2019

Has anyone received reports of users of Mendeley's Web Importer having
their IP address blocked by vendors? I have a patron whose IP address was
blocked due to excessive activity. According to them they were using
Mendeley's Web Importer to retrieve citations/pdfs from the site but not
nearly the numbers indicated by the vendor. I'm trying to find out if there
is some activity by Mendeley that could cause extra connections unknown to
the user. I found an Elsevier page which suggests this is a known issue (at
bottom of the page):

https://service.elsevier.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28973/supporthub/mendeley/p/16075/

I'm trying to get more information from Elsevier but I'm wondering if
anyone else has received similar reports.

Thank you,

Kenyon Stuart
Metadata Services Unit
320 Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library