[Eril-l] Language that University Promotions Committees Will Understand?

Rathmel, Angela aroads at ku.edu
Thu Oct 3 12:06:12 PDT 2019

Hi, Sandy.

I recently submitted my file and so all this is very fresh in my mind.  At KU, the requirements fall into categories of professional performance, research, and service.  Professional performance parallels to teaching for the most part, and that is made clear on the templates<http://facultydevelopment.ku.edu/sites/facultydevelopment.ku.edu/files/docs/PromotionandTenure/CandidateDocuments/Candidate%20Statements%202019-2020.docx> we use – so that’s an advantage.  Basically, though, I still tried to frame my professional performance statement as teaching of sorts, just with a different set of stakeholders.  Instead of primarily students, its teaching peers, administrators, and vendors.  I also pointed to the ways my direct interactions with faculty and students (e.g. in e-resource troubleshooting) involves aspects of teaching.

I would be happy to talk through making that parallel in the statement itself, if you find that a useful approach. Feel free to give me call if you’d like.
-Angie
Angela Rathmel
Head of Acquisitions & Resource Sharing
University of Kansas Libraries
Email<mailto:aroads at ku.edu> | Phone<tel:785/864-8834> | IM | About me<https://lib.ku.edu/angie-rathmel>
St. Silouan the Athonite, on printing this email:
'That green leaf on the tree which you needlessly plucked - it was not wrong, only rather a pity for the little leaf.'