[Eril-l] [EXT] Re: Policy for saying "polite no" to overzealous cold-calling/emailing sales reps, and random LibGuide recommendations?

Crawford, Laurel Laurel.Crawford at unt.edu
Fri Nov 1 08:53:16 PDT 2019

For the record, I don’t think you need a “policy” to explain this to vendors. The amount of vendor cold-calls is overwhelming compared to the bandwidth of our collection development team. We simply don’t have time to respond to every pitch, ad, email or call. I find I rarely have to explain this to vendors. Successful vendors make a succinct, information-rich pitch in writing.

Internally, we came up with guidelines to help us set good boundaries with vendors. That includes screening all calls and corresponding solely by email unless there’s an emergency. I agree with Matthew that vendors learn quickly not to phone you if you don’t pick up the phone. We also limit in-person visits to a single hour, with a strict agenda. “Check-in” visits are allowed for current vendors once per year, additional visits are at our discretion if we’re interested in talking.

As for what we show the public and vendors, we have two documents:

·         UNT Libraries’ Vendor Manifesto https://library.unt.edu/collection-management/unt-manifesto-expectations-library-vendors/

·         See attached for the flyer we give to vendors at conferences and in-person meetings. We usually include a little bit of library swag with this. Vendors seem to love having clear expectations and guidelines for contacting us!

I also like Jill’s suggestion of giving the vendors feedback about their sales techniques—I have found this to be successful also.

Laurel Sammonds Crawford, MLIS
Head of Collection Development
University of North Texas Libraries
laurel.crawford at unt.edu<mailto:laurel.crawford at unt.edu>