[Eril-l] limiting Kanopy

Beth Jacoby bjacoby at ycp.edu
Thu Mar 14 08:22:52 PDT 2019

We started a Kanopy PDA in 2016 with all collections available. Because we
were concerned that too many films would be triggered and costs would soar,
we didn't load MARC records and made just one announcement to faculty. That
low-profile approach worked well -- until recently. Apparently word of
mouth about all the great films in Kanopy got out, and our fall 2018
invoices started to skyrocket. We made the decision to switch to mediated
access starting with spring semester. We only gave faculty about 3 weeks
notice -- it wasn't enough. We should've let them know a semester in
advance so they could adjust their syllabi accordingly. We had one faculty
member who had already planned on using 5-6 Kanopy films this semester, so
we ended up getting one-year licenses for those. A few other faculty asked
us to renew licenses that we previously had and were about to expire.

Switching to mediated provided us an opportunity to educate faculty on the
high cost of academic streaming video. They had no idea we had to pay $150
for a one-year license for ONE film. We now have control over the costs.
Getting the requests for each film allows me to make sure we don't already
have it in our Academic Video Online streaming subscription and starts a
dialogue about how they're going to use it (in class? DVD works as well; or
out-of-class viewing) and how many years they plan to use it (3-year
license is cheaper in the long run than getting 3 1-year licenses). It's
more labor-intensive, but we don't have to worry about blowing our budget.

We used to have a subscription to Films on Demand (FOD) but cancelled it
because it was getting very expensive, usage was decreasing, and we now
have Academic Video Online (AVON); however, in a quick and dirty comparison
of content in FOD, AVON, and Kanopy, I found only about 25% overlap, so
each platform has lots of unique content. I've never used Docuseek, but I
have a postcard on my desk as a reminder that it's another option if
faculty need something not available on our existing platforms.

Beth

Beth Jacoby
Content Development Librarian
Schmidt Library