[Eril-l] Wiley ejournals four year rolling backfile access

Deborah Bezanson bezanson at gwu.edu
Tue Mar 12 15:59:20 PDT 2019

Stephanie,
It seems to depend on if you have an Enhanced license (generally a package)
from Wiley.

See:  http://olabout.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-406100.html

That page indicates:
Our Wiley Online Enhanced License customers will continue to get both
perpetual and archival access rights back to 1997 for their existing and
new subscriptions

Institutional subscriptions to individual journals

   - Archival access to content dating back 5 years during the subscription
   year 2017 (i.e. you gain access to content from 2013 to 2017 during the
   subscription year 2017)
   - Perpetual access to the paid-for year (i.e. you maintain access to
   2017 content if you cease your subscription at the end of 2017

It doesn't seem to be a new policy.  I used the WayBack machine to look at
that page for October 24, 2010 and they were saying:

   - Archival access to content dating back 5 years during the subscription
   year 2011 (i.e. you gain access to content from 2007 to 2011 during the
   subscription year 2011)
   - Perpetual access to the paid-for year (i.e. you maintain access to
   2011 content if you cease your subscription in 2012)

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 5:13 PM Stephanie Spratt <stephanie.mwsu at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry if I am late to the boat on this, but I've only now noticed that
> many of my library's individual subscriptions to Wiley Online Library
> journals now have the access model of "Current subscription includes access
> to current year plus 4 years rolling backfile." This seems to be true of
> titles for which we began an online subscription in 2017 or later. I'm in
> the U.S. I see there may be a different access model for UK customers. I
> was functioning with the belief that Wiley access went back to 1997 for
> most titles. At least the current model includes perpetual access to years
> for which we've paid for the online access.
>
> Was this news to anyone else? Does anyone have details about this that
> I've missed?
>
> Thank you,
> Stephanie Spratt
> Missouri Western State University

Deborah Bezanson
Senior Librarian for the Sciences, Engineering & Assessment
George Washington University Libraries
2130 H Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-6924