[Eril-l] Final 24 Hours to Register!

NISO Announce niso-announce at niso.org
Tue Mar 12 06:49:04 PDT 2019

*Final 24 Hours to Register! *

*NISO Webinar, Wednesday, March 13, 1:00 – 2:30 (Eastern Daylight, US &
Canada)*

*Confirmed Speakers include:*

   - *Patti Brennan*, Director, National Library of Medicine
   - *Stanley J. Wilder*, Dean of the Library, Louisiana State University
   - *Roger Macdonald*, Director, Television Archive, Internet Archive

Webinar:  *Defining The Library: The Mission, Role and Community
<https://www.niso.org/events/2019/03/defining-library-mission-role-and-community>*

Nearly twenty years into the 21st century, how exactly do we define the
word, *library*? This is hardly a frivolous question. Neither is it a
settled one. If a library is less defined by its information resources or
access services than by foot traffic or usage stats, then appropriate
assessment of its contribution to the institution -- through either
quantitative or qualitative metrics -- becomes demonstrably more difficult.
The question has implications for administrators with budgetary concerns as
much as for educators in the field. Should libraries be focused on
decentralization in order to better serve specialized research communities?
Or should they be more centralized as the central organ of an educational
organism?

Here’s what the three speakers will be addressing during the event

*Title*: The National Library of Medicine – Anticipating our third century

The National Library of Medicine is not your typical library – we rarely
lend books, we undertake and invest in research, and we’re actually one of
the 27 institutes and centers of the National Institutes of Health. Yet
NLM, as the world’s largest biomedical library, performs very typical
library functions—we acquire, organize, preserve and disseminate materials
pertinent to medicine, curate and make available globally enormous genomic
databases and  conduct outreach efforts to ensure that our resources are
well-used by the general public. We reach over 5M people a day, ingest over
15 TBs export over 100 TBs of data per day. We’ve played a role in every
biomedical discovery for the past 50 years! As we approach our third
century we renew our commitment to our mission, recognizing that we’ll be
using new strategies and approaches to fulfill our roles and reaching new
communities of users in new ways. Our impact on the future won’t be counted
in visits or web hits, but through the influence we have in accelerating
discovery, enabling insights and fostering access to the knowledge of
health through innovative human-computer mechanisms.

*Title:* The Urgent Necessity of Identity for an Academic Library

The widespread assumption that academic libraries must be obsolete has
moved consideration of library identity from a theoretical level to one of
day-to-day urgency. This presentation will describe how I approach
formulating and conveying library identity in a variety of situations. I
conclude with a short case study of how I’ve adapted my generalized
“vision” for the local environment (LSU) I now inhabit.

*Title:* Prospects for Digital Libraries Serving Human Readers and
Web-scale Computational Insight

The Internet Archive’s mission is *Universal Access To All Knowledge*. I
will share some practical models for how that exceedingly ambitious goal
might be approached.  I’ll offer some examples of how uncommon insight
might be derived when media are treated as data and are available for
public interest oriented computational research.  In this era when
disinformation is poisoning our information commons, I’d like to encourage
webinar participants to consider how significant public interest could be
served by library resources being available to digital services for dynamic
contextualization.

*Library Standards Alliance Members of NISO automatically receive sign-on
credentials for this event as a member benefit. There is no need to
register separately.* Check your institutional membership status *here
<https://www.niso.org/what-we-do/directory/member-organizations>*.

Registration Information: A single registration allows you to gather an
unlimited number of staff in a conference or classroom setting to listen in
to leaders in the profession.  Even if staff is unable to attend the live
broadcast due to scheduling conflicts or travel, links to the archived
recording are sent within 24-48 hours of the event so that those unable to
participate on the day of the broadcast can listen at their convenience.
This maximizes the value of your investment in such training!

*      NISO Voting Members and NASIG Members (Worldwide)* $100.00

      *Non Member:* $135.00

*      Student*: $49

*Paying by Credit Card for this webinar?* Use this form
<https://www.cvent.com/events/niso-webinar-defining-the-library-the-mission-role-and-community/registration-234c61e0baeb4527be4084be91e58c1d.aspx?fqp=true>
.

*Using Other Means of Payment?* Use this form
<https://www.niso.org/sites/default/files/events/2019-01/2019%20Webinar%20Registration%20Form_2.pdf>
.

Have questions? Get in touch:

NISO