[Eril-l] Kanopy streaming videos - HBO Documentaries problem viewing on campus

Bazeley, Jennifer bazelejw at miamioh.edu
Thu Nov 15 10:13:07 PST 2018

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced issues viewing the HBO
Documentaries (example title: Class Divide: Effects of Gentrification in
West Chelsea, NYC) on the Kanopy platform? We are unable to stream these
films on Kanopy from on-campus locations, although off campus access
through EZProxy works normally. I've been having trouble getting a response
on this from Kanopy, so I'm hoping someone else in the community may have
some insight or experience with this. These films have added DRM on them
that seems to be causing a problem in playback for us. We're getting the
following error message:
"Error while authorizing playback for DRM-protected video. Try refreshing
this page, or contact support (Err: PLAYER_ERR_DASH_DRM_KEY_SESSION)"

I've looked at Kanopy's troubleshooting guide in regard to these DRM'ed
titles and nothing there seems to be causing our problems. I'm using the
most updated versions of Windows and all browsers, I've tried every browser
available to me as well as multiple computers on campus. I've talked with
our IT and network staff, and as far as we can tell, there is nothing on
our end that should be causing this issue.

Most of our students live on campus, so this problem means that they can't
watch the videos in class or from any other place on campus, and therefore
can't complete assignments.

If anyone has any experience with this issue or has found a workaround,
please let me know on or off list.

Thank you!
Jennifer Bazeley

Coordinator, Collection Access & Acquisitions
Miami University Libraries <http://www.lib.miamioh.edu/>
King Library 312
Oxford, OH 45056
p. 513.529.4216 | e. bazelejw at miamioh.edu