[Eril-l] Questions about JSTOR print de-accessioning and faculty requests

Laura Turner lauraturner at sandiego.edu
Mon Nov 12 08:43:04 PST 2018

***Please excuse cross-posting***

Dear colleagues,

We recently acquired all of the JSTOR journal packages and are in the
process of de-accessioning print overlap for titles that did not have
perpetual access before this acquisition.  We've been doing JSTOR print
overlap withdrawals for years and typically send this material for
recycling.  With this new influx of overlap, we have faculty and even whole
academic departments on campus requesting the print journals that would be
recycled.  Alas, we did not have a very strong statement of our
policy/procedures for de-accessioned journal materials.

Have you run into situations like this?  How did your library respond?
What kinds of benefits or challenges did you find with your response?

Many thanks,

*Laura Turner*
*Head of Collections, Access, and Discovery*
Helen K. and James S. Copley Library / University of San Diego
5998 Alcala Park, San Diego, CA  92110-2492
Phone:  (619) 260-2365 | lauraturner at sandiego.edu