[Eril-l] ACS and pay-per-view - would you be interested?

Karen Jensen kljensen at alaska.edu
Thu May 10 09:33:10 PDT 2018

Our cpu is $13.24 for 2017. It varies considerably year to year, but always
at the high end compared to other scientific resources.

ACS has to charge a lot for its content, if for nothing else but to keep
its executives in this "not-for-profit corporation" amply paid. You can check
out their Form 990
<https://www.acs.org/content/dam/acsorg/about/aboutacs/financial/2016-form-990.pdf>.I
get that they have to pay a lot to pull chemical engineers out of jobs in
profitable companies to run the ACS, but it seems a bit over the top to me
to have so many people so highly paid, while libraries, librarians, and
library staffs are being constantly threatened with cuts (or actually
getting them, and dealing with the fallout). They also have to keep a
strong legal team going so that they can sue anyone who criticizes them.

Karen Jensen
Collection Development Officer
Rasmuson Library
University of Alaska Fairbanks